Sunday, September 7, 2008

Interesting videos....JenniCAM

Hi guys

Thought i'd put this link up for you to check out about JenniCAM.
It is an interview with David Letterman
Jennifer Ringley says, "it is real life" and "if i weren't normal then it wouldn't be as interesting." I thought this was quite bizarre - when thinking about the type of person Jenni would be i presumed that she would be a bit 'out there' and not the normal 22 year old woman. When you watch this interview you will see how normal she is. In this way I believe that she cannot be criticized for putting her life into the public sphere. She had control over everything she was doing and was aware of the camers. I therefore agree with Verity - i think that inorder for it to be classified as 'surveillance' she would need not to know about the cameras.
I had a thought while reading the article...do you think that it would have been as popular if it was a man on JenniCAM as the central figure? If this is not so does this mean that the public only value women as sex symbols or as something to look at but not to value?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think when JenniCAM started, it probably wouldn't have had quite the same popularity, had it been a JamesCAM, partly because in 1996, the internet a much larger male-to-female population ratio (from my understanding). I still think it would have gathered a rather large amount of attention had it been as potentially explicit as JenniCAM was.

My opinion on this subject though has been influenced by webcams being a lot more everyday. Friends on MSN have them, the University Computer Club from on campus has webcams and plans like this one have become more common. These kinda downplay the value of webcams for sexual values to me and increase the watching for the sake of watching (or paranoia) aspect.

Do you think I'm on the right track here?